Online Professional Development for Delaware Educators
eLearning Delaware uses a Web-based model to provide effective professional development opportunities that lead to gains in teachers’ content knowledge, improvements in their teaching practices, and an increase in the achievement levels of their students.
eLearning Delaware is using the Schoology Learning Management System to provide online professional development, mandatory trainings, and technical assistance to Delaware educators. In addition, 30 districts/charters covering 179 schools with over 108,000 students use Schoology to provide online and blended learning opportunities to their K-12 students. For more information, look at the Overview of Schoology in Delaware K-12 Education.
eLearning Delaware offers a variety of educator choice and mandatory trainings delivered via the Schoology Learning Management System. The educator choice courses are offered during four (4), seven-week sessions: Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Courses during these sessions are facilitator-led with 4-6 weeks of content with each participant developing a final product, in most cases a lesson plan, from the lessons learned throughout the course. The courses are entirely online (no face-to-face sessions), but during each week, there are specific readings (text and in some cases, video), activities, and a discussion that need to be completed during that week. The "week" runs from Wednesday to Tuesday. The courses are designed to take 4-5 hours per week. Total clock hours are dependent upon length of course (6 weeks of content = 30 clock hours, 4 weeks of content = 20 clock hours). Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate (printable from PDMS) for clock hours earned that can be applied toward the 90 hour re-licensure requirement.
The eLearning Delaware platform is also used to deliver a variety of mandatory training, such as, Child Abuse and School Bullying, to the Delaware educational community. Mandatory training is self-paced and successful completion of a quiz or assurance is required for awarding of credit.
eLearning Delaware has also expanded online offerings beyond the facilitator-led courses and mandatory trainings to include on demand, self-paced courses. For those wanting to learn how to use Schoology, look at the Getting Started with Schoology self-paced course. There is also the DDOE Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development (CIPD) eLearning Course Catalog available with course descriptions of the curriculum and instruction courses.
2016 - 2017
Registration and access to the eLDE courses is through the Professional Development Management System (PDMS) accessible through the Identity Management System (IMS) at https://login.doe.k12.de.us.
If you do not have an IMS account at your district, you will need to go to https://login.doe.k12.de.us and click on "Request Account." For non-public schools in Delaware, a process has been worked out for access to IMS - click here for directions. NOTE: Once the account in IMS gets setup, it will take 24-48 hours to replicate to PDMS.
eLDE Course Offerings for Fall 2016
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
The following courses will be offered during the Fall 2016 session:
- Implementing ELA-Literacy Common Core: Focus on Speaking and Listening (6 weeks / 30 clock hours)
PDMS Course: 24806
- Blended Learning Utilizing Schoology (5 weeks / 20 clock hours)
PDMS Course: 24259
- Social Studies: K-12 Disciplinary Literacy in History (4 weeks / 20 clock hours)
PDMS Course: 25099
Note: All courses have a one week orientation as the first week. This means 6 week courses listed above are actually 7 weeks long with the orientation week and 6 weeks of content.
|Registration for Fall (https://login.doe.k12.de.us) will open on Monday, September 12, 2016 at 8:00AM and close on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:00PM. Course offerings are dependent upon minimum (12) and maximum (24) enrollments.
Getting Started with Schoology
Online, Self-paced Course
For educators who want to know more about Schoology and how to use the features in Schoology to deliver instruction, collaborate with colleagues, and share resources, eLearning Delaware is offering an online, self-paced course, Getting Started with Schoology, that will take approximately 6-8 hours to complete. Registration is open in PDMS by searching for Getting Started with Schoology, Course #24179.
The Getting Started with Schoology self-paced course is designed to introduce participants to the Schoology Learning Management System and enhance understanding of the functions and features of the platform. This course provides participants with knowledge of informational and interactive course materials to create courses, tools for collaboration, data collection, and student feedback. In addition, this course will facilitate understanding of Groups and Resources within the platform and how to collaborate with other educators and colleagues using the Schoology platform. After completing this course, the participants will have the knowledge to build a course and utilize the features of Schoology.
DDOE Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development (CIPD) eLearning Courses
Online, Self-paced Courses
Self-paced courses currently offered through the DDOE Teaching and Learning Branch. Refer to the DDOE Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development (CIPD) eLearning Course Catalog for descriptions.
- ELA/Literacy: Academic Vocabulary K-2 [Course #24571]
- ELA/Literacy: Academic Vocabulary 3-5 [Course #24572]
- ELA/Literacy: Academic Vocabulary 6-8 [Course #24574]
- ELA/Literacy: Academic Vocabulary 9-12 [Course #24576]
- ELA/Literacy: CTE (Secondary) [Course #24578]
- ELA/Literacy: Social Studies (Secondary) [Course #24577]
- ELA/Literacy: Science (Secondary) [Course #24579]
- ELA/Literacy: CCSS Writing and the Delaware Writing Rubrics (Elementary) 101 [Course #24580]
- ELA/Literacy: CCSS Writing and the Delaware Writing Rubrics (Secondary) 101 [Course #24595]
- ELA/Literacy: Writing from Sources (Secondary) [Course #24594]
- ELA/Literacy: Writing from Sources (Elementary K-5) [Course #24884]
- ELA/Literacy: Text Complexity (Elementary) [Course #24730]
- ELA/Literacy: Text Complexity (Secondary) [Course #24812]
- ELA/Literacy: Text Complexity Librarians [Course #24813]
- ELA/Literacy: Text Complexity Principals [Course #24814]
- ELA/Literacy: Math (Secondary) [Course #24728]
- ELA/Literacy: Close Reading (All) [Course #24729]
- ELA/Literacy: Discipline Specific Literacy (Elementary K-2) [Course #24866]
- ELA/Literacy: Discipline Specific Literacy (Elementary 3-5) [Course #25046]
- Science: NGSS 101 Elementary [Course #24971]
- Science: NGSS 101 Secondary [Course #24972]